Different kind of language test acceptable under the Express Entry System 2019
Canada’s Express Entry is an immigration program for skilled and qualified workforce who can come to the country and work for development of the Canadian economy. Other than being skilled and qualified, the candidate also needs to be proficient in English or French language. Canada is a bi-lingual nation and therefore in order to survive socially and professionally in the country, one must have a reasonable aptitude for either of the two languages.
To prove your proficiency in official languages of Canada, you must prove your language skills by appearing for any approved language test. To appear for language test, you must:
- According to your time table, schedule your test with an agency approved by IRCC
- Pay the cost involved on the online portal itself
- Prepare for the test on your own or take professional IELTS assistance from us
- Appear for your test on the designated date and time
Wait for your result now. Once the results are out, you can proceed to file your Express Entry profile. Enter the test results into your Express Entry profile along with other information required to be filled in. Based on your score, you will get a point score which eventually add to your selection chances by CIC.
Your language test results will be announced on a certain date. You need to check them online and take out a printout or save an e-file for future reference.
- Canada 67 Points Calculator 2019
- Canada Immigration New Rules 2019
- IELTS Required for Canada PR 2019
- Canada Demand Occupation List 2019
- Canada PR Fees in Indian Rupees 2019
- Apply for Canada PR From India?
Now let us look at different types of tests that are allowed/ admissible as a proof of your language ability:
1. CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program – CELPIP-General
This exam type has recently been introduced in India. The CELPIP English Exam for Canada Immigration has first been set up in the city of Chandigarh. This provides with an alternate language test for Indians who aspire to immigrate to English speaking nations. Earlier, there used to be just the IELTS English Exam which we will be discussing later in this section. Other than India, the CELPIP test has also made its debut in countries of United States, Philippines, and United Arab Emirates.
The CELPIP test was formerly only accessible inside the country of Canada. However, over the last two years, the CELPIP has made its journey to a number of other countries which are having high rates of immigration like Canada. India is the latest country added in this list and therefore the test is made available for Indian residents willing to immigrate to English nations.
As per the CELPIP website, the test as of now will be available in the city of Chandigarh only. The website also gave the involved costing for the test which is 200 Canadian dollars. The city is chosen for opening and if this testing location is successful, the test will develop to be offered in other prominent locations in India as well.
2. IELTS: International English Language Testing System – General Training
IELTS is an important English language exam in India and also the rest of the world as it is widely recognised. IELTS test measures your language skills and generally taken by international candidates considering going to abroad for studying or working purposes in a English speaking country.
IELTS stands for International English Language Testing Standards. There are two parts of an IELTS exam-one is academic which is accepted for university admissions in the countries like UK, Australia, New Zealand, US, Canada, etc. The other one which is relevant for you is the general training part of IELTS which measures your social interaction skills as well as abilities to pit you across in a foreign language. The IELTS exam measures the aptitude of candidates in four basic language skills areas namely, listening, reading, speaking, and writing. Each of these modules gives you separate points.
This exam is widely held as before introduction of the other testing systems, it used to be the only testing pathway for immigration aspirants and international study aspirants to showcase the language skill set they possess. Even today, a large majority of people prefer to give this exam as:
- It is widely available in every city of each state
- The results are prompt
- You get various dates and time options to appear for the exam
To get IELTS assistance, get in touch with Oneclick Immigrations now! We provide IELTS material that is up to date as per the guidelines. We also provide practice series so that you can score a perfect CLB (Canadian Language Benchmark) score at one go!
1. TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français
TEF Canada is a mandatory test for those immigrants who want to showcase their proof of linguistic ability in French language. As mentioned above as well, Canada has two official languages- first bring English and second being French.
TEF Canada assesses your French language skills in areas of writing, speaking, reading and listening. There are following modules in TEF Canada language exam:
- Oral comprehension: 40 minutes – 60 questions
- Written comprehension: 60 minutes – 50 questions
- Oral expression: 15 minutes – 2 topics
- Written expression: 60 minutes – 2 topics
Your TEF Canada results will be validated through a certificate from the authorities.
2. TCF Canada : Test de connaissance du français
The other French test for Canada immigration is known as TCF Canada. TCF is a French language test presented to immigration aspirants by the French Ministry of Education.
TCF judges a person’s level of French proficiency for general purposes and social exclamations. It is planned for people who are not indigenous French-speakers but wish to consider certifying their ability in French for any number of reasons be it for learning purpose or any upcoming exam where one needs to have knowledge of French, etc. The test will provide you with a certificate delivered after the test and that will be valid for a period of two years.
This test is meant to be for:
- any person who is willing to showcase his/her French-language skills assessed for:
- Professional reasons: TCF certificate is a benchmark of one’s language abilities in French and therefore is widely used to give your backing to job applications or other applications for internal endorsement.
- Personal reasons: the TCF provides a clear idea of one’s proficiency in the language of French and thus any individual can self-assess their French vocabulary
- For final year undergraduates, postgraduate students, and students currently at the French Grandes Ecoles: the TCF Canada is methodically required by higher education institutes by any student who wants to apply for final year undergraduate study or postgraduate study with a skill set in French language.
TCF Canada is a wide test that has the following sections:
Three compulsory tests (total time allowed: 1h25)
- Reading comprehension
- Listening comprehension
- Language structures
Two optional tests (total time allowed: 1h15)
- Oral expression
- Written expression
To give a broader picture, there are four types of generally approved language tests for Canada- two for English and two for French. Let us re-establish these:
CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program
- Only CELPIP-General test is acceptable
- The other part of General-LS test is not acceptable for applying to Express Entry
IELTS: International English Language Testing System
- General Training option is to be appeared for
- The other part called the Academic option is not for Express Entry candidates as it is meant for students willing to go abroad for studies
TEF Canada: Test d’évaluation de français, includes the sections called:
- compréhension de l’écrit
- compréhension de l’oral
- expression écrite
- expression orale
TCF Canada: Test de connaissance du français, includes the sections called:
- compréhension de l’écrit
- compréhension de l’oral
- expression écrite
- expression orale
Now there are yardsticks to measure your English test points. This yardstick too is different for English proficiency test and French proficiency test. For English proficiency the yardstick given by the authorities is called Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB). While French points are evaluated on Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC) measuring stick.
One important thing worth noting is that your test results are valid for two years counting from date of completing and submitting it in your Express Entry profile. Your Express Entry profile is valid for 12 months therefore make sure that your language test results are new and has 12 months of validity left.
If your test results are on the verge of expire, then in this case you must re-take the test and update your Express Entry profile with your latest test results.
For further guidance on your language test, hire OneClick Immigration Consulting Services.
We are a certified Canada immigration consultancy having it’s headquarter in the province of Quebec (Montreal city). We have been offering since years, the most reliable services of free Assessment to our clients, free updated IELTS material for practice and also Job assistance in Canadian firms.
Oneclick visas is an ICCRC recognized firm having an operational office at Noida, India. We welcome you to contact us. For further information in this regard, ring our Immigration Experts at +91 9821533309 today!